About Creations Recipes Tutorials Photos Contact

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Business Adventure

If you didn't already know, I've been getting back into photography recently. Let me back up a little and get you a little bit about my photography past...
I've always been into taking photos to capture important moments in my life. I remember when I was in school, st arting in fifth grade, it was ALWAYS super important to me to have at least 3 disposable cameras for the last days of school. Back in 2002 when I was 15 I became very interested in all aspects of photography. A good friend of the family (Tom McCubbins) was a photographer, and I was in awe of his work and was continuously asking him questions about photography and what not. He was always more than willing to share his passion for the art of photography with me. And I believe that's when I really fell in love. For my 16th birthday, Tom and his wife, Mary Alice, gave me a Canon EOS Rebel Ti . I couldn't believe they blessed me in such a way! I was overwhelmed. So there was my beginning.

Over the next few years I went through endless amounts of rolls of film. Reading through every book about photography I could get my hands on. I just couldn't get enough. I always wanted to get better and learn more. Then in 2006 I bought a Canon 30D. I was SO excited to make the switch over to digital. Although there are things about film that just can't be matched! Any who, my love and passion for photography continued to grow. I started making money doing what I love. Event photos, weddings, senior portraits, children, boudoir, family portraits, you name it I was willing to photograph it. My dreams were beginning to come true. Then the unthinkable happened. My camera broke, NO even worse I broke my camera. I sat there and cried. I felt like everything was over. My camera couldn't be fixed and I couldn't afford another one. I felt hopeless. Although my husband, Chris reassured me that it wasn't the end of the world. We tired to compensate by buying a cheap point and shoot, but it wasn't even remote close to filling the void. My son was just barely 4 months old and I felt I had nothing to capture all the precious moments that I KNEW were going to fly by. After a little over a year, I had finally just dealt with the fact that I didn't have a camera. I was now having my second child, and promised myself that with our next income tax we are SOOO buying another camera. With that in mind, God decided to intervene. Let me just say right now that I know without a shadow of a doubt that God had His hand in the situation, for what purpose, I don't know but I continue to thank Him daily for His blessing. Well here's what happened, keep in mind that since buying my camera in 2006 I got married and moved three times. One day Chris calls me overly excited. He told me I had to call Best Buy imediately because I got a notice in the mail that my warranty for my Canon 30D was going to expire soon and asked me if I want to renew. I COULD NOT believe it! I had no memory of purchasing a 4 year warranty. So I called Best Buy and asked them about it and they said that sure enough my camera was still under warranty and that I could bring it into any Best Buy and take it to geek squad and if they couldn't fix it they would replace it. We took it in and they said it would be 2 weeks before we would hear anything back and that we could check the status online. The day of the 2 week mark Chris checked the status and it said waiting on customer approval. So I called and they said that the camera couldn't be fixed and if I came in they would replace it. So called Chris immediately (he was at work) and told him then news, and told him we were going to go up there on his lunch break cause I just couldn't wait, I was tooooooooo excited!!  We went in and they replaced it with a Canon 50D, no questions asked! So that was in June 2010, and since then I've been trying to balance starting my photography back up and being a mom of two babies under 2 years old. I'm so excited that I've been blessed with another chance at my dream. I feel like the time without my camera I really grew as a photographer and as a person. I pray that God will continue to bless me and open doors for me to pursue my dream.


I've recently launched my webpage, but I can 't wait to purchase my domain (awkwardeyephotography.com) It's seems as though everything is falling into place, and I couldn't be more thrilled!! 

2 comments:

paislea said...

i am so excited for you! i love your little logo! it's so cute! and it's the perfect domain name!! congratulations!

allisterbee.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

court its soooo funny that you posted this whole history cuz i envied your pics from the day you got your new replacement cam and i had no idea u had an interest in photography prior to that day, so i asked you what the camera was cuz mine just decided to stop working and when u sent me the link and i saw the price i freaked!! no wonder u bought it "prebabies"!!!! i am "postbabies" by many yrs. and cant even consider that expense for my personal use!! best of luck with your ventures honey, I see your and Astins work and I am in awe.. you girls should be very proud and excited about your futures cause y'all have a very exciting one ahead!!! <3