About Creations Recipes Tutorials Photos Contact

Sunday, August 22, 2010

A woman of inspiration.

This is my grandmother(my dads mom), Mary Jo Cowan. She is a fantastic woman. I don't remember exactly how long ago it started but she has dementia. At this point she can't really talk comprehendingly, sometimes she gets something out that is actually words but for the most part it is gibberish. Back when I was a sophomore in high school she lived in our neighborhood. Everyday after school I would stop by her house to visit with her for a couple hours. I look back now and treasure that time I had with her. I'm so grateful for that time! Even then she showed signs of dementia. She could never remember if I had come over so the days that I did stop by she would write it on her calendar. Every time a stopped by she told me the same stories, we did the same thing. Despite all that it never got old. I loved hearing stories about her past.
She is a mother of five. Carolyn Joyce "Joy", David Newton III "Rusty", Clayborne Nathan "Clay", Charles Eagle "Carlos" (adopted from Mexico),  Joel Wade (my dad), Grady Jr (stepson) Serena (step-daughter) And a grandmother to (about) 20. She has always been loving and caring to all of us. I remember when I was little my sister and I would go spend the night at her house. I loved spending time there, fishing, exploring, swimming, and just hanging out.
It makes me sad that she's kind of "gone" Although when I spend time with her I can see the happiness in her eyes. She may not know my name, but I like to believe she knows who I am. She hugs me and tells me she loves me, and it makes my heart smile.

2 comments:

paislea said...

awe!! she's so cute! what lovely pictures!

allisterbee.blogspot.com

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

beautiful story! this reminds me so much of my grandmother who was a mother of five, had 14 grandchildren and now about 9 great grandchildren. My grandmother is diagnosed with alzheimer's, but is doing better on medication. The photos of your grandmother are very sweet. :)
What a blessing that you get to spend so much time with her.