About Creations Recipes Tutorials Photos Contact

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

German Cucumber Salad

This is a recipe I grew up with. My mom's side of the family are 100% pure German. So there was always german inspired food being made. How "german" this actually is I don't really know. What I do know is my hispanic husband thought it was weird and kinda gross the first time I made it for him, which was shortly after we got married 4 years ago and haven't made it since.

Last week my Dad came over and we were talking about this salad and I started craving it like crazy. So I decided to share the recipe, I do warn you it's not for everyone. But if you are feeling like trying something new, go for it and let me know if you are a fan.


Ingredients:
1 Large Cucumber
1/2 Medium Sized Onion
2/3 cup Mayo
2 TBsp Distilled White Vinegar
1/2 TBsp White Sugar
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt

Directions:
1) Peel cucumber and cut off ends. Slice into very thin slices (about the width of 2 quarters)
2) Peel of the outer layers of the onion, then cut the onion in half (cut across to circles in half)  Then slice into paper thin slices.
3) In a bowl, whisk together the Mayo, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt and Pepper.
4) Add the onions and cucumbers stir to mix well.
5) Place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least an hour or more.



On a completely different side note:
I hate when toilet paper is on the roll with the end underneath. But for some reason every time I got to the restroom, instead of fixing it I secretly complain about it in my head. Does anyone else have a preference about how your toilet paper roll is on the roll? Over or under?

1 comment:

Mrs. Marquez said...

As soon as I saw this I started having memories. I swore my Mom used to make this. I emailed her the link to this blog entry and I was right. Only we had ours without the mayo. My Mom's side of the family is 100% German as well! Cool! I knew when I met you in the park you were a kindered spirit! :D